Wednesday, June 22, 2005

Jugnu, Diye, Sitaare

Mai tumse baat karke roshan hua hun kitna
Saare sukhan tumhare, jugnu, diye, sitaare


Seven people (dead or alive, real or fictional) that I would pick to have a 5 minute conversation with

Socrates
Sahir Ludhianvi
Sherlock Holmes
Nicholai Hel from Shibumi
Ramakrishna Paramahamsa and Vivekananda (I’m imagining this meeting with the two of them together. Can you imagine my tongue-tiedness? I think I’ll just sit with an idiotic smile and soak it in)
Amir Khusrau and Kabir
Aurangzeb

Hee heee, that’s nine… But… BUT…
No women! dismay! I only want to meet men? No representation at all unless I rack my brains and fit them in, and that would really be tokenism.
The reason, I think, lies partly with our skewed documentation. Women, if recorded at all, are done so for masculine, or male-centred attributes – strength or beauty. Women of extraordinary strength or power – but not interesting, you see? Not necessarily people I want to meet.

How many cool women do we know of – chilled out, humorous, sexy, funny, wise? Not necessarily strident, not necessarily serious, not necessarily academic or ‘important’. Women with individuality, women with opinions, a unique way of looking at the world? There must have been – why didn’t they make it to the pages? I want to meet those women.

5 comments:

Sheetal said...

Navin, kya re? Translation: Enna, da!

This is what comes of editing out even a word of Gay's. Her diktat was: "Seven people (dead or alive, real or fictional people that I won’t actually ever meet!) that I would pick to have a 5 minute conversation with. So you see, since I can meet you anytime I get on the Chennai train...

And for that you are hereby tagged. Refer to http://sheetalvyas.blogspot.com/2005/06/lists-nine.html for full details.

Gayathri said...

I see you've caught on to the idea of sneaking in more than the rules allow :-)

How many cool men do you know - chilled out, humorous, sexy, funny, wise? Not necessarily strident, not necessarily serious, not necessarily academic or ‘important’. Men with individuality, Men with opinions, a unique way of looking at the world? I want to meet those men!

Anonymous said...

Gay, Gay, Gay! I haven't stopped chuckling for more than an hour. Me too, sister, me too.

Anonymous said...

Aurangzeb? About what do you want to talk to him? Priya

Sheetal said...

Aha! I thought you'd say this. Remember those long conversations about the Mughals, Pri, on the roof? Akbar, deen-ilahi, paun-bosa; Aurangzeb, music-lover, brother-killer and fanatic...
I don't want to talk to him about anything but I find his mind fascinating.