Friday, May 20, 2005

Bhopal diary - I

12 days in Bhopal. It was more or less a reading holiday. Please, please let me list.
Thrones, Dominations by Dorothy Sayers and Jill Paton Walsh, The Moving Finger by Agatha Christie, Ipsita Roy Chakraverti’s autobiography Beloved Witch, one book on Kundalini, occasional morsels from an excellent glossary called Q is for Quantum, and I hardly need add, loads of candyfloss romances. Finished Dick Francis’ 10-lb Penalty on the train. Lovely.
Plus, I’d carried Huxley’s The Perennial Philosophy for Shweta, and then unfairly started to read it in Bhopal after having sat on it for months in Hyderabad. So blackmailed her into letting me bring it back with me (cannot believe I got away with that, but I had power on my side. Supreme Kaji of All Disputes Within The Vyas Jurisdiction, ie, mater, unexpectedly added weight to my arguments and the sibling relented.)

It is to be the marriage of true minds we try for?

I was particularly pleased with Thrones, Dominations. Jill Paton Walsh finishes a half written manuscript by DLS and does it so well. Strewn with literary references, classy, smart and bless ‘em, romantic. If we ever wondered how the Wimsey-Vane marriage works out, we now know. And rejoice. And hope.

1 comment:

Gayathri said...

I was wondering where you'd gone to.. now I know. Almost sounded like the return trip bummed you out so much that you weren't going to tell us abt your vacation after all :)